I think every recipe I create could be described by the word “easy”. I’m just a simple cooking kind of girl, so those are the recipes that become my go-to’s. I also like creating recipes that are affordable. This recipe was very affordable, as it utilized dry lentils and canned beans/tomatoes. This recipe packs a punch of protein because of the lentils, and a yummy savory flavor due to the seasoning I used.
Lentil + Bean Chili Recipe
- 2 cups cooked lentils
- 1 (15 oz.) can garbanzo beans/chickpeas
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans
- 2 (15 oz.) cans diced tomatoes
- Salt (I eyeballed-0bviously-but maybe around a tsp. or so?)
- ~1 tablespoon of Weber Salt Free Chicken Seasoning (or your any of your favorite seasoning blends would work, really!)
- Optional: shredded cheddar cheese, other chili toppings
- Cook lentils (I buy them dry in a bag and they are really cheap!). I just followed the instructions on the bag, which said to rinse the lentils, boil 6-8 cups of water, add 2 cups of lentils and cook for around 15-20 minutes. I cooked them for around 15 because I knew I’d be cooking them more later on. Then drain them and return them to the pot. (Use a big pot!)
- Add (with the juices), all of the canned beans and tomatoes. Stir.
- Cook at medium heat for around 20 minutes, or until warm and softened a bit.
- Add the seasoning and salt, and stir.
- I topped it with shredded cheddar, but green onions other chili toppings would be yummy, too!
This recipe made quite a bit, so I would suggest making it when you plan to serve a group of people. Or, you can be like me and have several containers of leftovers and eat on it for a week. I’m honestly so excited to cook for more people than just myself! Solo cooking means lots of leftovers! If you try out the recipe, let me know what you think by commenting down below!